Happy to See You!

Come join us as we navigate life with kids,work and play! See my new designs and decorating ideas as I 'stage 'our home(my funny husbands words!) Come treasure hunting,you never know where we may end up and what we will make! Join the party as we throw open our home and have some fun!

Now the proud owner of What A Woman Wants! Bringing you your new favorite things. Check us out on facebook! LIKE our link and be entered to win a Lifestyles Bracelet!

http://www.facebook.com/gkbringswhatawomanwants?sk=photos#!/pages/WHAT-A-Woman-Wants/260766693940728?sk=info


Monday, September 10, 2012

Harvests of Fall Big Batch Cooking Freezing Ahead Breakfast Burritos

Fall is Glorious with it's lovely breezes ,cool weather,and bounty of food. I am not a preserver . I am a freezer. I have many freezers in my life and I like to keep them full. Child of a child of the great depression? Hoarder? Girl scout(be prepared!) My Mother likens me to a bear getting ready to hibernate and that may well be the closest answer. Our Manitoba winters are long and can be hard. Cold,snow and shortened daylight hours all contribute to the feeling of wanting to hibernate!!
I do not enjoy pushing cartloads of groceries thru the snow or unloading the truck when the windchill is in bite your butt range! I like to have friends over, enjoy winter sports, sit around a roaring fire, inside or out I am not fussy!



Drop in on a Saturday and stay for a meal!  Soups, casseroles, bread sticks or garlic bread all ready to warm and serve not to mention pies,banana bread,banana cake,and cookies ready to eat or ready to bake!
I freeze fruits for smoothies and veggies for side dishes or my favorite veggie chilli. Having a party? I will be there with my fancy appy(made many dozens of bean dip rolls this am,recipe in another post) and dessert fresh from my freezer! I like to enjoy time with friends and not be stressed about pulling together eats.


I still pick up fresh fruits and veg in the winter and I am always up for a coupon deal but if I can pre buy it,pre make it,or stash it in one of my pantry's it's done!



                                                     Breakfast     Burritos Ready to freeze!
Today is the start of the second week of Sister's back to school routine and all is going smoothly. Next week lil Bro starts pre-school and Mama will re-quaint herself with the inside of a yoga studio! My rush will really start next week when all the early mornings and activities will hit!
I tried out a freezer burrito idea that I have seen several times on pinterest. Here is my version!
 I wanted to use on-hand ingredients as it happened to be 6 am Sunday am and even if I found a open store I did not want to leave the house! Or get dressed!!! I had sausage pizza topping and started with a chopped onion and the sausage in my big electric fry pan.

With input from Sister I added a can of black beans(rinsed) a can of corn(drained) and a can of diced tomatoes(drained). After cooking and stirring for a couple of minutes I whisked together 20 eggs(I planned to fill 20 burrito wrappers so this seemed reasonable) I cooked the eggs into the mixture,however next time I will cook the eggs in a separate frying pan and add the cooked eggs to the mixture. Quicker to cook the eggs separately  and I think less'squishing' of the main mixture..I used pepper and garlic plus for seasoning,I seldom add salt to recipes unless I am baking.
I scoop about 1/2 a cup of mixture(I added either provolone or chedder to each burrito) into a warmed burrito(I warm them for 15seconds in the microwave)tucked the ends in,rolled and done! The Fam loved them fresh and this morning we nuked them one minute each side and they still loved them! LOL! A hit! I will be making again!!
I froze the burritos on a tray and then slid them into large Ziploc bags separated by cheese options. YAY! for quick breakfasts!
 Time to start decorating for Harvest! Planning a Thanksgiving Meal! Freeze a few more things!

No comments:

Post a Comment